Saturday, May 1, 2010

Homemade Marshmallow Fondant

I have always wanted to make a cake from scratch and cover it in fondant just to see if I would possibly enjoy cake decorating. So this weekend I was inspired to finally try my hand at it! I wanted to share this jaunt into cake decorating with you!

I performed an amateurish experiment this morning in the kitchen. I've looked up several marshmallow fondant recipes. After reading the recipes I thought that maybe I could tweak it just a bit and make the base of the fondant a homemade Marshmallow. And so far it has worked (it is currently cooling in the refrigerator). So I wanted to share this journey with you.

The base of my fondant is Alton Brown's homemade marshmallow recipe which can be found here Alton Brown's Homemade Marshmallow Recipe I took the recipe to the point where the vanilla is added after I add the vanilla I simple changed the attachment on my kitchen aide mixer to then kneading attachment and added one lb of 10x sugar until it was well incorporated then slowly added in another lb of 10x (which makes 2lbs of total sugar) into the mix. I coated my hands in crisco and coated the mixture in crisco and double wrapped the fondant and placed in in the refrigerator. I plan on using it tomorrow morning to frost a cake (I'll be baking the cake tonight so there will probably be another post!)

Warning you will have 10x sugar all over your kitchen aide mixer the counter tops and the floor if you are anything like me!

No comments: